Monday, 22 February 2016

My attempt at vegan cupcakes!

So after have two of my posts been about places to buy vegan cupcakes I decided that I should attempt to make them and share the recipe I used with you all. I made one base batter and split it in two. One I made chocolate the other I made vanilla and apart from having terrible piping skills they actually turned out alright!
So here is the recipe I used (original website for recipe here):

Ingredients:
Base batter:
  • 2 1/4 cups plain flour
  • 1 3/4 cups sugar
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 cups almond milk (any other milk substitute would be fine such as coconut or soy)
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • For Vanilla:
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
    For Chocolate:
  • 1/4 cup 100% cocoa powder
  • 2 tsp almond essence 
  • If you are splitting the base batter to make both cupcakes half the amount for each flavour.
Method:

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (160 fan forced) and like two muffin trays with cupcake liners (the original recipe claims to make 24 but I only got 18 out of it).

Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, bicarb and salt into a large bowl. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and add almond milk and oil, whisk until well combined (at this stage you can split in two and add the different ingredients, again whisk until well combined).

Pour the batter into the cupcake liners about two thirds full. 




Bake for 25 minutes.

Let the cupcakes cool completely before icing.



Now for the icing I found a vegan chocolate buttercream recipe (original here):

Ingredients:
1 cup vegan margarine (I use Nuttelex)
3 cups soft icing sugar2 tsp vanilla extract2 tbsp 100% cocoa powder 
(for vanilla I just left out the cocoa powder)

Method:
With an electric mixer, mix the margarine and vanilla together.
Then add the cocoa powder and add one cup of icing sugar at a time.
If it seems a bit oily add some more icing sugar.


Frost the cupcakes and enjoy!!


I just bought a piping bag so I thought I'd give it a try. It turned out okay... Here are my best two.


I hope you enjoy the recipe like I did!

- Louie May


















No comments:

Post a Comment