Tuesday, 16 February 2016

Basic but delicious Butter Chicken.

I know I haven't posted a recipe in a while but I will now, hopefully, be doing what I said and promised to do, post 3-4 times a week.
So today's recipe I got from "delicious. Feel Good Food" by Valli Little. This cookbook has a range of different recipes as well as a good selection of dairy free ones. So I would recommend looking into buying a copy.
So today is Butter Chicken and I did have to make little changes but nothing drastic.

Ingredients:
60g coconut oil
1 onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp salt
1 tsp of each, ground cardamon, coriander, ginger, turmeric and cumin.
1/2 tsp smoked sweet paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
12 curry leaves, plus extra fried leaves, to serve (I didn't bother with the fried leaves, I didn't really think they were needed)  
1/4 cup tomato paste
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 1/2 cups coconut water
400g can coconut cream (instead of using both coconut water and coconut cream, I used a 400g can of coconut milk and added about 1 cup of water)
6 chicken thigh fillets, cut into 3cm pieces (I used chicken breast)

Method:
Heat the coconut oil in a deep fry pan over medium heat (I just used a wok). Add the onion and salt, cook while stirring until the onion is soft and almost transparent, about 4-5 minutes. Reduce to low heat, add the garlic, spices, curry leaves and tomato paste, cook while stirring for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant.


Add the lemon juice, coconut water and coconut cream (as I said before I just used coconut milk and water), increase heat to medium and bring to a simmer.

Add the chicken, reduce to low, cover and cook for 20-25 minutes until the chicken is tender and cooked.

The cookbook suggests to serve this with cauliflower rice, which is a good gluten free alternative to plain rice, although I just served it with plain rice.

 I do suggest that if you do serve with plain rice add vegetables to the curry. I would recommend potatoes, carrots, green beans cauliflower and broccoli.  
Hope you enjoy!

- Louie May

No comments:

Post a Comment